Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Summit

This week the Mavuno pastoral team is attending the Global Leadership Summit, a training event for Christian leaders hosted by the Nairobi Baptist Church. It’s a good bonding event for us as a team and also a time to network with other Christian leaders from across the city. For me, also a great time to sit at the feet of great Christian leaders and just learn…


My treat of the day yesterday was hearing Bill Hybels speak. He’s senior pastor of Willow Creek Church, which puts together the annual Summit all around the world. For some reason I’d expected his address would be on video then I realized he was there in the flesh! Anyhow, it was great to see, hear and even shake the hand of this great man who’s had a huge impact on church leaders across the world, myself included. He’s the one from whom I gained the conviction that the church is the hope of the world. It was great observing this mature leader who God has used to accomplish so much. He spoke about some of his leadership mentors and the things he’s learnt from them.


The rest of the speakers were on video. Jim Collins, of ‘Good To Great’ fame, spoke about the qualities of a Level 5 leader. [His bestselling book was an exposition of a 5-year research on the companies that have had extraordinary results over several decades. One of his findings was that there was a qualitative difference between leaders of these companies when compared to leaders of similar companies that hadn’t had the same longevity. His ‘Level 5 leader’, who displays both genuine personal humility and ferocious determination to accomplish the organizations goals, very closely resembles Jesus’ own model of leadership!] Anyway he challenged us about the Level 5 decisions we are facing at work; those that require us to make personal sacrifices for the cause. Good stuff.


Interestingly, Jim sees having charisma as a liability for leaders! Because charismatic leaders often get used to leading based on their own gifts as opposed to building systems that will accomplish the organizations goals long after they’re gone. So he taught how to overcome ‘the curse of charisma’!


God really spoke to me through Gary Haugen of International Justice Mission, who talked about leading people in the things that matter to God. Just because I’m leading and people are following doesn’t mean I’m leading in the things God is passionate about. If I want my leadership to matter, then I need to lead in the things that matter to God. His was a very challenging call for Christian's to be involved in the work of justice, with some practical pointers about how do so.


Am blessed to love what I do. And to be part of Mavuno’s incredible staff team. And to belong to such a fun church where God is at work and anything is possible.


Peace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor M,
I can't believe Bill Hybels is here. His books on character and spiritual discipline radically altered my thinking from the 'spiri' brand of christianity to a much more practical, feet on the ground christianity. On joining Nairobi Chapel, I remember thinking that this must be Kenya's version of Willow Creek. Anywho, hope you share more insights from this summit and how they can be relevant to kawaida folks. God bless you and the entire Mavuno Crew.

Kingangi said...

Pasi, I am very excited to hear and read this article from you. Its very refreshing to hear and see what God has done in these great leaders and the passion they have not only for America but the body of Christ as whole. I really do appreciate your perspective. I ardently follow your blogs and this one will be added to my favs immediately. Sorry i added this comment in the wrong blog!!it was meant to address this blog not the Obama one. Thats a whole different story especially for us who are in the States. ck

Pst. M said...

Hey guys, thanks for the comments; it's encouraging to know someone out there is reading what I write! Have a great weekend. Pastor M