Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gratitude Adjustment

This month I’m preaching at KC3 (Kileleshwa Covenant Community Church), a church that resulted from a merger between Kileleshwa Community Church and The Covenant Church, a fellow daughter church of Nairobi Chapel. I’m doing a four-week series on Greatness which, those of you who know me well have probably figured out, is a subject I’m quite passionate about! KC3 is a great church, and I suspect one that will have tremendous impact on our city in the not-distant-future.

Meanwhile, Pst. Simon Mbevi kicks off a series at Mavuno called ‘Attitudes for Altitude’. It’s a great series as we come to the end of the year and evaluate what was and could have been. It’s so easy to see or blame the external factors that affected or limited where we end up. But by looking within, we can discover attitudes that played a huge role in the outcomes we saw. And we can adjust course so they don’t limit us any more. I have an inkling this series will have a great impact on careers, marriages, and families at Mavuno.

So, Sunday he spoke about gratitude. Very convicting…

Heard about a public speaker who held up a large piece of white paper. He used a marker to make a large black spot in the middle of it. Then he held the paper up before the group he was addressing and asked them what they saw. They all agreed there was a black mark.

"Right", the preacher replied. “What else do you see?”
Complete silence.
“Don't you see anything else?”
Blank stares and heads shaking.
"I'm surprised that you have overlooked the most important thing of all - the sheet of paper!”

The adversities of life often monopolize my attention and cause me to forget or assume God’s blessings. I so easily develop the proverbial ‘glass half-full’ perspective. All I can see is the black mark!

I’m learning to command myself everyday “Bless the Lord oh my soul, and forget not all His benefits” (Psalms 103:2)

Hey, have a grateful week, won’t you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Wanjau,
This is Leakey Maina,I hope you can remember me from Patch.

I listened to all your online sermons and I must thank you for the inspiring Work you are doing at Mavuno.

I am based in the US and married with 3 kids. I am looking forward to coming back home sometime soon and will definitely pay you a visit.

Regards and God Bless you.

Leakey Maina
LeakeyMaina@Gmail.com

Pst. M said...

Hi Leakey, great to hear from you. Will shoot you an email. Look forward to seeing you and your clan!