Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stuff Happens

Came across an amusing little story...

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It got so cold as it flew that it froze, and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some manure on it. As it lay there in the pile of manure, it began to realize how warm it was. The manure was actually thawing it out! It lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the little bird singing, and came to investigate. It discovered the bird under the pile of manure, and promptly dug it out—and ate it!

The morals of the story are:
1. Not everyone who drops manure on you is your enemy…
2. Not everyone who digs you out of a pile of manure is your friend…
3. When you’re in the manure, keep your mouth shut!

According to Proverbs 27:6, ‘wounds from a friend are better than many kisses from an enemy!’ I’m learning to proactively solicit feedback and critique from mentors and people I trust as they help me see myself more clearly. Also to recognize the difference between friends and fans, the former who know me and the latter who only know about me.

Not sure I fully agree as much with the last one. Too many of us guys would rather die than call for help when we're in trouble. However, there are surely times when talking doesn't help anyone. Such are the times when listening & praying accomplish more than talking...

Definitely easier said than done!

4 comments:

Johnny Brooks said...

Great story. I think I might use it sometimes.

ThatLadyInAWhiteDress said...

That's deep! It's encouraging to see God's grace at work in your life-seriously it takes a good dose of humility to ask for feedback, especially when that feedback is like er, manure:-)I am also with you about the keeping quiet [or not] point..For alot of people, shouting is not their greatest problem. Au contraire! Am thinking of obvious everyday examples, but also things like domestic violence cases where really,something needs saying.Maybe wisdom is "knowing the difference".hmmm

Pst. M said...

Good thoughts nyina. I've generally been selective about who I approach for feedback so the quality is typically a little higher than that! I do wonder whether men and women approach the keeping quiet while in manure issue differently... or maybe it's just my imagination :-)

Rombo said...

Pastor M, I'm stuck under a stinky pile of manure right now. (figuratively speaking of course). Reading this made me smile. Light bulb going on over my head and all that.

Like you, I'm not sure I'm sold on moral number three. Or perhaps I'm just a little wary about its depiction. I know Amy Carmichael is of the same mind. "Darkness is the time to be silent." Or something like that. (Or is that Oswald Chambers? I forget, I think it's Oswald Chambers quoting Amy Carmichael.)

Anyhoo: the first two, priceless. May borrow. Will be sure to give credit.

I hope you're well in this new exciting Mavuno dispensation.